USA and its very peculiar definition of freedom, heroism and democracy.
10 Facts That Prove America Is A Police State:
- With only 5% of the world’s population, US has 25% of world’s prison population.
- China, which has a population 4 times larger than that of the United States, comes in second with 14% of the world’s incarcerated population.
- More than 1 in every 100 American adults are incarcerated, the highest incarceration rate in the world.
- When divided by race, 1 in 106 white men are incarcerated while 1 in 36 Hispanic men, 1 in 15 black men and 1 in 9 for black men ages 20-34 are behind bars.
- It costs an average of $23,876 per year to incarcerate one inmate. That is more than twice the combined amount it costs to provide healthcare and education to one American.
- The United States spent $44 billion in tax dollars in 2007 on corrections.
- U.S. incarceration rates are significantly larger than those in any other liberal democracy.
- While violent crime decreased, incarceration rates sharply increased.
- Half of all inmates in state prisons are behind bars for non-violent offenses.
- If you include jails, 60 percent of inmates are nonviolent offenders.
LBGTQ* Maps and Charts
OkCupid’s Chart of “Gay Curious USA & Canada”
**OkCupid.com is a free online dating/meeting site. It recognizes sexuality as “gay/lesbian/bi/straight” and gender as “male/female.” It can be assumed that the data from the map above was collected from the series of survey questions members of the website fill out in order to find a more compatible match. Graph from 2011.
Canada you rock
REMINDER: #Prop8 play “8” star-studded LA premiere to be live-streamed on YouTube STARTING IN 5 MINUTES
Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Martin Sheen join an all-star cast for a one-night-only benefit reading of Dustin Lance Black’s play “8,” based on the court transcripts of the federal trial for marriage equality.
Staring Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Martin Sheen, and Kevin Bacon…